Wednesday 12 January 2011

Abandonned sugar beet factory

The sugar factory in Ipswich was built in 1925. It was closed by British Sugar 76 years later. There are plans to turn the entire site into a housing with nature reserve.
Derelicte

I remeber the smell of the sugarbeet when i was growing up...every summer the smell of burning sugar would fill the air. I nostalgicly miss that smell. the sight of the silos always welcomes me home from a long jounrney with the family as we come off the bypass.

I find it such a beautiful sight to behold and its something ive always known in my life back home.
I visited the site over chirstmas, snow liad acorss every surface, Suffolk punch horses grazing in the open plains.
To me it feels like the death of industry, the loss of jobs and a landmark.
I really enjoyed exploring the site, it really warmed me inside seeing it upclose for the first time.
many thanks to David Stickland for accompanying me and adding his own insite.
Check out davids blog at - http://thesupergoodlife.com/















No comments:

Post a Comment